Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Pecha Kucha presentation

Serendipity
View more presentations from nerinagobbi.
‘What in the hell is Pecha Kucha?’ was the first question that sprang to my mind the moment I heard this weird name. Words always convey different impressions to different people and the word ‘Pecha Kucha’ was not the exception to the rule. This word conveyed to me the idea of difficulty and some sort of challenge. Fortunately, these were not more than mistaken impressions. Although I must admit that it was challenging-as all new things are- It didn’t prove to be a nuisance.

I felt quite relieved when I learnt that Pecha Kucha was not a particular program we need to run but a Power Point presentation with specific characteristics. Using Power Point was not new (I remember using it at Secondary school) but I learned how to use it more in detail. As regards the topic, I chose serendipity out of curiosity. I have that word written on my agenda and now I wanted to know what that concept referred to. I googled serendipity and I was so astonished with its meaning that I decided to adopt it as the topic of my presentation.

I found 20x20 an interesting format since it allows you to develop a topic quite completely while being concise. Backing up our presentations with pictures and some words or quotes keeps the audience more motivated and interested as it makes our monologue more dynamic. It’s true that I would have liked to have more time to expand on some details behind the serendipitous discoveries I presented but having a time limit is a useful technique for not leading the audience into sheer boredom. Just think of how much time we women can talk if we are enthralled with a topic and not limited by any factor.

All in all, a nice experience. Comparing the odd feeling I had the first day I became acquainted with the phrase `Pecha Kucha’ and the final product, I feel really proud. Even more proud if I think how basic my knowledge about computers and technology is (or was- I must admit I’ve learned many new things lately)

No comments:

Post a Comment